Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sea Glass

One of the things we really enjoy about Maine are the beaches. Jason and Ivan love to skip rocks on the water. One day while we were at the beach we noticed small pieces of glass in with the sand and rocks. So while Jason and Ivan skipped rocks I looked for sea glass. It's something that we really enjoy doing when the weather permits.

Here is what our collection looks like now (we also have a bunch of pottery pieces but as you can see we didn't have enough room at the window)
Here are pictures of a few of our outings to the beaches this year.
It was a beautiful day but it was COLD!

Ivan is turning into our little helper :)




We went to a local beach at low tide and found all sorts of treasures!
At first we collected the sea glass to have something pretty to look at. Then we thought maybe we could do something with it. Come to find out there is a large community of people who search for sea glass and make crafts out of them. And you all know how much I love my crafts!!!
This is the first sea glass necklace I made.

Well this isn't sea glass, it's a crochet wire bib necklace I just made :) For the next one, I think I'll add a few more layers.
This is my interpretation of a popular pendent called "Tree of Life". My circle went alittle wonky but it's not bad for my first try.
This was my first attempt at making a wire wrap sea glass pendent. It looks kinda ruff but I learned alot making this one.
Here is a piece of sea glass that I drilled and used a single wire to make a scroll embellishment in the front through the hole and the pendent in the back.

Here is my second attempt at making a wire wrap pendent. I really like how this one turned out. This is one side...
and this is the other side.

As I mentioned before if I can improve my skills I would like to participate in some of the local craft fairs in the area. So stay tuned to what I try next :)




















No comments: